Sunday, July 15, 2012

Love for the Latin Mass

I sometimes wonder about the effect the Latin Mass has on me. When I come home after one I feel totally at peace, joyous and fulfilled, not just in my spirit but, in some inexplicable way, in every part of me. It's an amazing experience to feel that way and quite unexpected. Of course I love any Mass but why does the Latin Mass nourish me so much? I don't think it's the Latin, though that may be part of it, but the prayers themselves are so different from our modern prayers. They emphasise the greatness and glory of God, and the incredible holiness of what is happening on the altar. Combined with the silently worshipping congregation,the priest facing towards God instead of us, the whole atmosphere is one of awe and reverence. In that atmosphere I feel at home and at peace. Then of course we have a humble, gentle priestly priest who truly loves us. He preaches strong, hard hitting sermons instead of the feel-good sermons we get from other priests. After Mass we stand outside catching up with each other's news and Father moves among us, chatting, praying with those who need special prayers, and hearing confessions. And there is the dedicated congregation who are so devout, so friendly and so thankful to have a Latin Mass. One 92 year old drives for 1 1/2 hours to get there with his younger sister who is a mere 89! Many drive similar distances including a family with 6 young children. It's amazing how many children attend with their parents and what a blessing they are. So I thank God with all my heart that we are allowed a Latin Mass. My Latin is not too good but...Deo Gratias.

No comments:

Post a Comment