Friday, June 22, 2012

St Thomas More

June 22 is the Feast Day of St Thomas More and St John Fisher. They mean a lot to me as I am English born and lived there for the first half of my life but also because I obtained my first teaching post at St John Fisher school and for 30 years was a member of St Thomas More's Church. So we celebrated yesterday. We had wine with our special dinner and after dinner we watched "A Man for all Seasons " which is a wonderful 1966 movie about the final years and execution of Thomas More. What a wise, brave, modest, witty man he was. I love this prayer he wrote: "Lord Give us a mind that is humble, quiet and peaceable. patient and charitable, and a touch of your Holy Spirit in all our thoughts, words and deeds. O lord give us a lively faith, a firm hope a fervent charity, a love of you. Take from us all lukewarmedness in meditation and all dullness in prayer. Give us fervour and delight in thinking of you, your grace, and your tender compassion towards us. Give us good Lord, the grace to work for what we pray for".

No comments:

Post a Comment