Sunday, March 16, 2014

An English Catholic.

Tomorrow is St Patrick's Day and perhaps it is a good day as any to confess to something that I seldom mention; I am, that rare breed, a totally English Catholic. When I was a child I found this very puzzling. Almost all the kids in my class were from Ireland or of Irish stock and so were the teachers. I asked my mother repeatedly about it as I felt very left out, but no, my mother was absolutely sure, we were English. And so things remained until I met Alex. He was, and is, an amateur historian and is half Irish himself. He was fascinated by the idea of an English Catholic with apparently no Irish roots. "How could you be?" he mused "For many centuries it was almost impossible to be a Catholic in England unless you were very wealthy. There were no Churches and no priests." But thanks to the internet he has recently managed to solve the mystery. For many centuries my ancestors were workers on the Estate of a Catholic landowner who insisted that all his workers were Catholics. How the landowner managed to stay onside with the some of the ruling monarchs we don't know but somehow he did. So we don't actually celebrate St Patrick's Day in our family but we will be wearing a rose on St Georges Day!

2 comments:

  1. Good evening,

    I came across your blog last year while searching for the song about St Joseph. I have been following your posts with interest. It is refreshing to hear the views of a fellow Catholic.

    My name is Ewan and I am the youth minister at St Joseph's parish in Edinburgh. I would love to subscribe to your blog or receive regular updates via email. Is this possible?

    God bless,

    Ewan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewan, thank you for your very encouraging comment. I know quite a number of people read my little blog but I find it hard to visualise them so to get such a wonderful comment makes it real to me. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to subscribe to blogs or how to send posts by email. The blogs I like I save on favourites and so can access them easily. All blessings to you and to St Joseph's parish. When I lived in England I was in St Joseph's Parish and went to St Joseph's School in Derby so have always been a big follower of St Joseph.

    ReplyDelete