Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Freedom

It was many years ago when I first found the poem "When I am old I shall wear purple..." I loved it and have always kept a copy. Well now I AM old and I don't wear purple and I don't spit but I certainly realise that growing old does give me a great freedom from caring too much about what people other people think. I really don't worry any more about people thinking I'm a 'religious nut' or that I'm heavier than I used to be. I can go my 30 minutes walk a day free from that nagging feeling that I should do more - I even feel blessed and thankful that I CAN do it when so many people of my age can't. I am blessedly free of the necessity of planning the future; I can live in the present and Alex and I happily reminisce together about the past and don't feel guilty about it. People advise "Don't live in the past, look to the future." We haven't much future on earth and we have a lot of past and enjoy visiting it. We DO have a future for sure and hopefully it'll be glorious and blessed, so why shouldn't I 'wear purple' metaphorically speaking of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment