Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Great Gift.

My dearest friend is 80 today. We first met not long after my family arrived in NZ and she introduced me into the hidden customs of Kiwi life. One custom she taught me was that when you visit a friend you never go to the front door, you go to the back door. Only strangers go to the front door. She also taught me that when you are asked to 'bring a plate' to a social event, you are expected to put something tasty ON the plate!

M. and I hit it off straight away. I was in my mid thirties and she was in her early 40s when we met. Both of us had 3 children, and we were both very family and Catholic minded. Over the years we have shared many joys but some very traumatic times. We've laughed and cried together, and we can talk for hours. We are very different in temperament; she is very calm, faithful, seldom questions but accepts people and situations as they are. I am very impulsive, analytical and emotional.

I can't believe she's 80, a very fit and active 80 although she has had a lot of illness in her life. But she's always positive about her health. I've threatened that on her tombstone I'll put "I'm a bit better today" which is what she always says when she's ill!

Happy 80th birthday M. I thank God daily that He brought us together. A best friend is one of God's greatest gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment